This is a family picture of Colleen, Cullen, and Matt Haller
As many of you know, Willowbrook resident Matt Haller died in March of 2019 after bravely battling a rare form of stomach cancer. Matt lived a mile from the now-closed Sterigenics plant in Willowbrook, and was an outspoken proponent for closing the plant. In fact, Matt’s legacy will live on, as the Illinois General Assembly passed the Matt Haller Act in June of 2019, calling for some of the strictest restrictions on ethylene oxide emissions and facilities in the nation.
Now Matt’s friends, family, and supporters are coming together to raise money for the Cullen Haller Educational Trust, to make sure that Cullen’s educational expenses are one thing his mother won’t have to worry about in the future. As you know Matt had a lifelong passion for hockey as evidenced by the picture below of him teaching now 5-year-old Cullen how to skate.
So we will be playing a hockey game in his honor to directly benefit his son.
Due to the health restrictions that are being suggested for the second week in May, we are postponing the Matt Haller Memorial Hockey game scheduled for Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 5pm at the Willowbrook Arena. Wally and I are working with the rink on scheduling a time in the fall when everyone is back at work and in school, and when hockey is just getting going again. We apologize for any inconvenience, but this is just a setback and not an end as the need for educational resources for Colleen’s and Matt’s son Cullen will never go away. For those of you who have already made donations and signed up to play, we will reach out to you individually to see how you want to proceed, but are hopeful your desire to help will be as strong in the fall as it is now.
Thanks for your support thus far.
Rob and Wally
To Be Determined
Chicago Blackhawks Alumni, local celebrities, and players wanting to make a donation to play in the game.
Willowbrook Ice Arena, 201 63rd St, Willowbrook, IL 60527
More On Matt Haller
Read more on Matt’s life, family, his fight against cancer and to limit ethylene oxide emissions, and his love of hockey.
Necessary Support & How You Can Help
SPONSORS AND PLAYERS
We have various sponsorship opportunities
- $10,000 Platinum: Ceremonial center ice puck drop, 100 complimentary tickets, recognition on all signage, email and electronic communications, and mentions on social media leading up to and at the event, banner at the rink and 2 roster spots for the game.
- $5,000 Gold: 50 complimentary tickets, recognition on all signage, email and electronic communications, and mentions on social media leading up to and at the event, banner at the rink and one roster spot for the game.
- $2,500 Silver: 25 complimentary tickets, recognition on all signage, email and electronic communications, and mentions on social media leading up to and at the event, banner at the rink.
- $500 Bronze: One roster spot and jersey, with Matt’s favorite #4 on back. 4 complimentary tickets.
- Ex-NHL & AHL Players and Local Celebrities: We are reaching out to secure the participation of these players to make sure it is a memorable and well-attended event. Already confirmed to play: ex-Blackhawks Eric Daze, Adrian Aucoin, and Brian Noonan.
Volunteers: We are on the lookout for volunteers who can help us in various ways, from publicizing the event, to assisting with printing and jersey production, to game night operations to ensure it goes smoothly.
Sponsors: We have major sponsorship opportunities at the $10,000, $5,000, and $2,500 levels. Sponsors will receive recognition on all signage, email and electronic communications, and mentions on social media leading up to and at the event. Sponsors will also receive complimentary tickets the night of the hockey game.
Support: We are asking for all attendees to make a donation of $20 at the door, to show not only moral but financial support to young Cullen.
Show Your Support via Cullen’s Go-Fund-Me
Even if you can’t attend the event, but would still like to support the family, Please donate at their gofundme. All support is deeply appreciated.